Sunday, November 20, 2011

College, Career Path, Home School, HELP?

Hello, First let me say thanks for viewing this. I have a few questions. I hope you don't mind. I was home schooled, but I have done all current curriculum for K-12. I'm 16 and will be starting college in or after march. (I turn 17 in march!) I have a few job choices in mind, but have been tempted to ask this question for awhile now.





*What Career Path should I follow? I have compiled a list of things I like, and/or Jobs that I have been looking into.





**I like Art(Looking and Making), Music, History, Myths and Legends, Traveling (I really want my job to do this), Digging, Photography, The Human Mind, Weapons and Objects, Reading, PC, Tech, Internet (I use it for fun but lots of my fun is using Wiki :P), Local.Live.Com, Risks, Testing Myself, and before someone says teacher ... I am not good at teaching much. Need more information just ask.





**Career Paths I'm currently looking at Archeology, Photography, Information Technology, and Drafting and Design.





*Now, As I said earlier. I was Home Schooled. So I need a college that accepts home scholars. Can any give me information on a good college that accepts home scholars. That either has on of the above fields or The one you suggest.





*Finally, Is there any hints and tips you can give me about how to make it through college alive? Like what kind of stuff do I really need to relook at before going.





Please and Thank You,


William

College, Career Path, Home School, HELP?
Many colleges and universities, especially publicly-funded institutions, accept home-schooled applicants. Often you will need to directly contact the school (admissions office) for detailed information and requirements. They might have you take a separate exam. If you have had a broad education, it shouldn't be that difficult.





You should not worry too much about your career path until you have actually begun college. Plenty of people start out as pre-med and wind up majoring in art history. If you can, take the classes that interest you and follow that trajectory. I thought I wanted to be a doctor, but it only took one semester for me to find out that I wasn't that interested in science and I quickly found an area that was a better fit. Many colleges are very flexible in this area and allow you to change majors, especially as a freshman.





The best piece of advice I can give you is to find internships (once you have reached your sophomore or junior year of college...or earlier, if you are able) in career fields that interest you. Most of them will be either unpaid or pay very little, but working for a summer for a company can net you either a future job offer, opportunities to network or even just a chance to fill out your resume.
Reply:Well, I couldn't really give you much advice on college itself. I'm 28 and just started college this year. Better late than never, right?





I would, however, like you to know that I grew up fairly sheltered. I'm not sure about you, but growing up home schooled, you might be shocked at some of the things you will see and hear at school. I wish someone would have warned me about the crazy things that kids do.





Just be yourself (ha ha).... Just kidding! If you make friends, great. Don't let them peer pressure you into anything you don't feel like doing. Who cares if they won't be your friend anymore, you will probably never see any of them again when school is over. Promise...





Lastly, don't feel pressured to make friends. They'll come. Don't try to hard. Sometimes wanting someone to hang out with, can help you find the wrong kind of friend too. Worst case scenario, bury yourself in your work. You'll be glad you did.





Congratulations on beginning your future. I bet your folks are so proud.





God bless,


Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment