Sunday, November 20, 2011

College Degree?

I own my bookkeeping firm and I am looking at going back to college to get my CPA. I would really like to go to college where I can work ahead if possible. I have 15 years accounting experience so a lot of this is going to be review for me. Couple of questions though.





Are online degrees faster b/c you don't have to take all of the bs general courses?





What online college would you recommend? I live in a very small town that does have a college here but if it would be faster (It would be easier for me also) I would go with the online courses.





I am not going to be looking for a job after I finish my degree as I have my firm already I just want to be able to get my CPA in Colorado.

College Degree?
Online degrees are not faster and you still have to take all of the "bs general courses" because those are what makes it a degree and not a certificate in accounting. If the program you pick doesn't require any general ed - it's probably not legit and most likely won't qualify for the CPA exam.





The best online schools are also the best traditional schools. Places like UMass or Florida teach online these days and offer great programs at a good price.





I understand that CPA now requires 150 hours of college - that's more than a bachelor's degree. Check with your state office about it. You may be able to simply complete the easiest bachelor's degree (time and money) and get a master's in accounting to meet the requirements fastest. Check out the many options available.





Be very careful picking a school. A school that is not regionally accredited will not help you reach your goal of CPA. As long as it's regionally accredited (with AACSB a plus) it won't matter if it's for-profit or non-profit (state or public) but the general reputation is likely better if you stay away from the for-profit schools.





If you have the knowledge already - check out CLEP, DANTES, Excelsior College's examination programs. You may be able to get substantial credit for the material you already know.





The final step before you spend any money but after you pick a school - call the state board and make sure the school will qualify you. It's easy to get hooked into a bad deal when picking colleges (online or otherwise).


No comments:

Post a Comment