Wednesday, July 14, 2010

College information!?

Hi - I was ignorant and drop'd out of high-school. I'm really regreting it now, and want to continue my education, and go to college. I was one of those people who in high-school gave the excuse 'I wasn't challenged' and drop'd out.





I'm wondering if anyone could give me a lot of infomation about college? What I need to do, how to do it, how colleges will look at me, etc.





I know I'll need to get a GED, and probably take the SATs/ACTs. That isn't really a problem - I'm very confident I can do well on all three of them.





If you could maybe give me some helpful weblinks, or something? I've been searching all over the college I want to go tos website, and haven't gotten much luck. I have a meeting planned with the college in a few weeks.





I also don't understand how semesters work - It's talking about registering in November for a January semester...? Is there not a August/Sept semester? Sorry, I'm very tired, and been researching this all night - Finally decided to come here for help.

College information!?
Good for you, for rectifying earlier mistakes! My guess is that you will certainly need to start out at a community college. As you said, you will need to get a GED (although you will not need either the SAT or the ACT for a community college) which you will only be able to do there. Also, if you have a GED, you probably can't start out at a four-year school - they have no way of comparing your performance to other students who will submit high school grades, extracurricular activities, and the like. Know that, depending upon the college, you may not be too challenged there either, but you can find ways to stretch yourself, not to mention that you can look at it as a means to an end.





After two years, you can transfer to a four-year college for the remaining two years, if you do reasonably well. At that point, they will look at your community college record and not worry about your GED, lack of high school, or test scores.





As far as semesters go, yes, there would be an August/September semester too. It is likely that whatever was posted on the website was put up in Fall in anticipation of registration for the January semester, and they have not yet replaced it with information about Fall.





Probably the most useful weblinks I know of are those for the Princeton Review and the College Board. Both give a lot of information, both about college in general, and about particular colleges.
Reply:Semesters usually mean 16 weeks of schooling. Fall semester starts around August and ends in December; Spring semester starts in January and ends April or May.





You can try http://www.college.org/ for a categorized links of colleges.


No comments:

Post a Comment