Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Does transferring from one college to another more than once harm one's chances at graduate school?

I am at the moment a student at City College, and am uncertain about transferring to Hunter College. Yet City College has not been my first college; one year past, I attended Queens College but had to change residence to Manhattan; I then decided not to continue my studies at Queens because of its great distance from my new home. But I must admit, I cannot stand City College: the quality of education there is terrible, in general, and the political science program (my chosen major) is not very good.





Separately, all three of the aforementioned colleges belong to the City University of New York.





Question (as posted above, but more specific): I am curious whether a third college will harm my chances concerning admission to graduate school.

Does transferring from one college to another more than once harm one's chances at graduate school?
I went to 4 colleges before graduating, and am now accepted and enrolled in grad school. They never really asked about how many colleges I went to. I think the only rule is you have to have a certain number of credit hours a the last school you attend in order to get a degree from that school. Grad school admission is based on you exam, such as the GMAT, or whatever you are going for, and your final GPA at the school you graduated from. I really think you would be fine to transfer. I hope that helps
Reply:The only situations in which I've seen this be harmful to grad school chances were ones in which the student seemed to be switching colleges either because s/he wasn't doing well in the earlier ones, or because s/he went to easier and easier schools in an effort to raise GPA. Some of my best students have transferred a few times, and I've never seen it become problematic.


No comments:

Post a Comment