Sunday, August 22, 2010

College Dilema (2)?

I have reposted this in a different area to get more responses.





I am a second semester freshman in college and I wanted to know basically if anyone else ever feels or felt like they weren't doing the right thing?





I mean, here I am getting my English Major with a Writing concentration and I feel like it is not what I want to do. I have always dreamed of opening up a flower shop or a B%26amp;B or even a Cafe. But, like now? I just feel like I am only in college to get a degree to get a job. That's it, no passion or willingness on my part for this really.





I want to join the Pece Corps, the sole reason I am in college. But, lately, I have even been second guessing that. I want a simple quiet life, which I have to admit, most people don't seem to want.





Right now I live on campus in Wisconsin and my mother moved to Illinois because of my stepdad's job. There is a community college there that offers small business courses.


(To be continued ...)

College Dilema (2)?
A double major is a great idea if you can fit it in to your college schedule. But honestly, you don't seem that sold on the writing thing, so perhaps you should just drop out of the English major so you're not wasting your time in that regard. I'm majoring in English myself, but if it's not taking you where you want to go in life, then you should let it go. The business thing seems more closely in line with your dreams.





As great as the Peace Corps might be for you, it's pretty much exactly the opposite of a simple, quiet life. Try to talk to some people who have been through the program, and see if it's really right for you... and if it is, make plans accordingly.





Everyone says that your undergraduate major doesn't matter much, btw... just having completed college gives you a big resume boost.
Reply:It's very common to feel like you aren't doing the right thing. I did that myself. It took me 3 extra years and changing majors 3 times, and interestingly enough my outcome was to be an English Major.





At any rate, college is the time to explore your options. Maybe concetrate on GE classes rather than English classes so you can spend more time seeing if you want to take business classes or whatever interests you.





Also, I know that a lot of people who earned degrees, ended up in careers that had nothing to do with their degrees. Don't feel limited, and explore. And don't worry about taking an extra year or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment