Sunday, August 22, 2010

College disability woes?

I went to 2 different colleges a semester each. 1st one, I didn't apply myself, partied too much, and failed next to everything. Moved to another but only took pre-algebra. I failed it again. I have higher functioning Autism (if i spelled any of that right). I've never been able to do math or english to the satisfactory of the schools. Only reason i graduated high school was a lot of hard word, and special ed. BUt college doesnt have SE. Ive talked to 2 colleges in my are and both say they wont waiver either even though im disabled and can prove it. I dont want to end up in a resturaunt forever cause they wont help me. ive tried touters, extra homework time, time on tests, all nighters. It gets me no where. Does anyone know a disability group i could contact? or a list of colleges in north-East kansas that work with the disabaled? I really need some help on this. I have a strong interest in psychology. A+ all 3 classes I've taken in it. Help

College disability woes?
Try contacting the disability support services at KU http://www.achievement.ku.edu/disability... They claim to have success working with student on the autism spectrum. The only schools I know that truly specialize are far from Kansas...Landmark College in Vermont, Keene State in New Hampshire.


You may want to start at a Community College and be sure to contact the disability services office. Most likely though they will not waive a math requirement but assist with getting accommodations in place that can help. Also utilize the "generic" resources available on campus such as tutoring, help sessions etc. You may also want to contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation office, they may be helpful too.


Good luck, don't give up.





addition- I just heard today that the disability coordinator at Missouri Western U in St. Joseph MO has experience and some successes with students on the autism spectrum.


(816) 271-4330
Reply:Did you try private schools? I know they are super expensive...but they have a smaller staff to student ratio, and people tend to do really wellthere. There is also LOTS of help there. Try Goshen college in Indiana. (it is a Mennonite school....not only for mennonites, in fact it's just a title). I know that they will bend over backwards to help you reach your goals. Go see them in person, any college you talk to, rather than email or write.


Also, maybe a community college would be a better place to start. You can't party as easily there. You can live at home, and set aside time for homework. Continue to seek out help in tutoring and school work. Maybe get an aid that will come over to your house in the evenings and help.


Good luck. You can do it....seriously. Stick to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment